Pitbulls

Shoot the shit.
eamon angelface

Pitbulls

Post by eamon angelface » 02 Sep 2006 01:51

What are your opinions on Pitbulls?

I see quite a few of them around still. I don't know why. They're disgusting, stupid animals and when i hear about them turning on their owners I smile.

I personally think if someone can walk around with one then I should be free to walk around with a gun in my hand.

DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 02 Sep 2006 02:17

I personally don't like pitbulls, but I dislike Chows moreso.

I don't know how I feel about them turning on their owners. While the breed may have a very aggresive nature, I think that how their owners treat them goes a long way in determining how they'll behave. So sometimes it might be the owner's fault that they turn on them, but then sometimes a dog will simply want to eat you. And that's a risk you take, getting a mean breed of dog.

But, when I was a kid all the dogs we had were all members of what may be considered the more vicious breeds: Rottweilers (2), Doberman pinchers (2) and German Shepards (1) and they were without exception the sweetest, most even-tempered animals I've seen. I think it's because we treated them decently, unlike everyone else who lived around us.

Dog-fighting was a big thing in my hometown. People were always harassing us about our dogs. Somebody poisoned one for fun or something and it died. Her name was Tigerlily.

I'm getting off topic, and I need to go cry now.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 02 Sep 2006 02:57

Dobermanns and German Sheppards are intelligent trainable dogs.

I should be biased because I did get bit by a sheppard when I was a kid but the dog was sick and in pain so it wasn't its fault. I think I was 4 and I tried to give it a hug.

If that had been a pitbill I'd have probably been in intensive care.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 02 Sep 2006 03:01

eamon angelface wrote:If that had been a pitbill I'd have probably been in intensive care.
Or worse.

I heard an animal trainer on TV once compare having a pitbull as a pet in a household with children roughly equivalent to leaving a loaded handgun sitting on your coffeetable.

thefelinepunk

Post by thefelinepunk » 02 Sep 2006 03:08

I've owned Pit Bulls.

Actually, they're really sweet and devoted dogs. I've only seen them well-tempered and with a sincere love to play. They have a lot of energy and they're really fun. Good dogs all around, and it's a real shame that they've got such a bad reputation. Not all of them are the most attractive, but Pit Bull Terriers are downright beautiful dogs that come in a variety of colors and markings.

It really depends on where you get your Pit Bull.

I mean, Pit Bulls were originally bred to do one job, and that was taking down animals much larger than they are. Pit Bulls were originally bred to protect farmers from their bulls should the bull attack the farmer and try to gore him. They were also used to hunt down vermin such as badgers and rats that would destroy farmland and spread disease. They were bred to have that fighting instinct and that viciousness that sadly people are all too familiar with. In present times, you can get a Pit Bull from a well-established breeder that has bred their lines for years based upon temperment, kindness, loyalty, and willingness to be loved by people.

If you don't know where the fuck your Pit Bull is coming from, then I can't make any promises that your animal will not have a bad temper. But more than anything I stress that ANY dog can be a dangerous dog! If a Pit Bull should ever turn on its owner, more than likely that owner has been abusing it, and I would expect that because of instinct alone any dog would have that same reaction.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 02 Sep 2006 03:21

thefelinepunk wrote:In present times, you can get a Pit Bull from a well-established breeder that has bred their lines for years based upon temperment, kindness, loyalty, and willingness to be loved by people.
And therein lies the problem. Sure people have been trying to breed pitbulls into "kinder" dogs for maybe a couple of decades, but the breed is what is it is due to centuries of human selection for a desired trait.

And what might that trait be? Let's just say that people have selectively bred pitbulls for viciousness and aggression in much the same way Chihuahuas have been bred to fit in a designer handbag. And they've done their job well. No matter who bred a pitbull, or how much a family cares and loves the animal, there are still instances where a dog sees a smaller animal (a young child playing) as a threat and instinct kicks in. Try consoling the parents with how well the dog was bred at that point...

thefelinepunk

Post by thefelinepunk » 02 Sep 2006 03:27

Eh, Wikipedia is gonna be more eloquent than I can be, so I'm just gonna quote it here. I'm trying to illustrate the point that even though these dogs were always bred to be agressive, they were also bred to be be non-aggressive toward humans, and even before dog-fighting came to be popular they were bred to protect human beings.

"The sport of dog fighting, which could be carried out under clandestine measures, blossomed. Since Bulldogs proved too ponderous and disinterested in dog fighting, the Bulldogs were crossed to English White and Black and Tan Terriers. They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and remain non-aggressive toward humans. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that the match referee who is unacquainted with the dog be able to enter the ring, pick up a dog while it was engaged in a fight, and get the respective owner to carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit the referee were culled."

You can take it as you will. It's my opinion that in modern times it's irresponsible breeding by brainless thugs interested only in making money that has made Pit Bulls gain a real reputation for being violent, dangerous dogs.

For the record, AB, I would agree that you shouldn't have a Pit Bull if you have small children... but then again there are a lot of breeds of dog that can't tolerate kids. Also, I mean, it also really depends on how socialized the individual dog is.

Titleist

Post by Titleist » 02 Sep 2006 03:39

I've met tons of pits that were really sweet and I would totally trust them around my kids. Despite their rep, it really is how they are raised and socialized as pups.
stfu.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 02 Sep 2006 03:47

So what's the appeal?

They're possibley not dangerous...so why get one?

It's the mentality involved in the people who go out and buy these dogs in tandum with the breed being geared towards killing that results in disaster. A Ridgeback was bread to hunt lions. Yet how often do they tear a kids throat out?

The very fact that you had to quote wiki on dog fighting shows the severity of the problem with the dogs. People like to say "I have a pitbull". They like that people cross the street because they're walking their timebomb in public. To me that is indicative of a very insecure person.

I only got this in my head today because a friend of mine in the states said just about every young actress now has a pitbull because they think they're safer with it around.

Most actors/actresses are vapid funtional retards.

Why not just get a different kind?

I'll concede on this if someone can give me ONE good reason to get a pitbull over any other breed of bog.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 02 Sep 2006 03:51

thefelinepunk wrote:Eh, Wikipedia is gonna be more eloquent than I can be, so I'm just gonna quote it here.
I get your point, TFP, I just don't choose to accept it. Plus, for all I know that Wiki entry was written by the president of the American Pitbull Breeder's Association. That's an inherent flaw in Wikipedia as it currently exists.

Bottom line, if I ever have kids, there would NEVER be a dog in my house bigger than a Yorkshire Terrier. You and Titlest may feel differently, and that's fine, but this is one of those cases in life that you can't afford to be wrong about even once. I choose to err on the side of caution in situations like this.

Titleist

Post by Titleist » 02 Sep 2006 05:03

eamon angelface wrote: I'll concede on this if someone can give me ONE good reason to get a pitbull over any other breed of bog.
Who fucking cares. Why does anyone choose one breed over the other? Personal preference. If you want an active, intelligent, and agile dog, you get a doberman, pitt, boston, etc... If you want to sit at home all day with a fucking lap dog that is content with doing nothing, you get a fucking Chihuahua.

I'm not a pittbull activist or anything, but specefic breeds require experienced owners. These dogs are bred to be powerful and active. If you read up on them from even unbiased sources, you'll see that they are not prone to human agression, at all. Animal agression...maybe, but that can be corrected by early socialization and training.
stfu.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 02 Sep 2006 05:08

I hate pitbulls. Not only do I not really care for dogs that much, but I worked with a guy for 4 years who raised and bred pitbulls... so it was all he ever talked about.
If I ever hear another pitbull story from anyone... it'll be too soon.

ps- this thread is going to make Justin hungry. :|

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 02 Sep 2006 05:08

eamon angelface wrote:So what's the appeal?

They're possibley not dangerous...so why get one?

Why not just get a different kind?

I'll concede on this if someone can give me ONE good reason to get a pitbull over any other breed of bog.
I've heard it said that they're pretty loyal and like to play, and now that I've looked up pictures I think they're not as ugly as some of the supposedly cute smaller dogs like those thrice damned spaniels and terriers that everyone has.

Oh look at my cute little dog it goes yip yip yip.

I am sick of them all.

yip yip yip yip yip yip

I just want to crush them under my foot like the roaches they are.

But if your argument is that you don't like pitbulls and don't understand why people would want them then I can totally roll with that.

thefelinepunk

Post by thefelinepunk » 02 Sep 2006 06:07

Some people just don't like Pit Bulls.

The only reason we got ours was because she was abandoned in the middle of a field in the dead of winter and left to die as a 3-week-old pup. We rescued her, and she grew up to be a really awesome dog.

Before we got her I really didn't care one way or the other. I still don't, really. I just resent the idea that any dog is specifically BORN bad.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 02 Sep 2006 06:38

Titleist wrote:
eamon angelface wrote: I'll concede on this if someone can give me ONE good reason to get a pitbull over any other breed of bog.
Who fucking cares. Why does anyone choose one breed over the other? Personal preference. If you want an active, intelligent, and agile dog, you get a doberman, pitt, boston, etc... If you want to sit at home all day with a fucking lap dog that is content with doing nothing, you get a fucking Chihuahua.

I'm not a pittbull activist or anything, but specefic breeds require experienced owners. These dogs are bred to be powerful and active. If you read up on them from even unbiased sources, you'll see that they are not prone to human agression, at all. Animal agression...maybe, but that can be corrected by early socialization and training.
My question is what motivates the preference. And then I'd like justification for the motivation.

I have read up on them and they're dangerous to other animals and small children.

So why have one? If you want an intelligent active dog then yes, get a dobermann. They're a very intelligent breed and bred to be guard dogs. Pitbulls are not intelligent. They're bred for pit fighting. Here's a nice stat...
A Rottweiler will exert 800 pounds-per-square-inch jaw pressure and a Bull Terrier will exert 1200psi. A Pit Bull will exert more than 2000 psi.
The lower jaw saws back and forth once locked to get through bone.

That's a pet?