Lost

TV talk.

Moderator: smash

efilflah

Re: Lost

Post by efilflah » 25 May 2010 05:58

Yeah, as you can see from my emoticons, I felt the same about the last 10 or so minutes too, mostly because I could see where they were going throughout the episode just from the vibes and content, and by that time I knew that anything that hadn't been answered was never gonna be (like the power of the numbers (coincidence really?), how the fuck that lighthouse worked etc)

Still though, as you say, I too loved LOST, one of the best shows I've ever seen and I didn't feel disappointed, and I may have welled up a lot but I never cried OK? Now pass me some chewing tobacco, I need to do some press ups.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 25 May 2010 07:03

Dex wrote:...I don't care what anyone else says
Let me clear that up - I care what people say, but it won't affect how I feel about it.

I guess I didn't "cry", so to speak, but yeah I welled up too, during Sun & Jin, Charlie & Claire/Kate... all the "reconnection" moments where they remembered everything. That shit hit me like a ton of bricks. A+ acting & A+ music.

The end bothered me at first (spoilers) because my first thought was, "so none of it was real?". It wasn't until I thought & discussed it later that I realized that everything the last 6 seasons was real... the only thing that was "not real" was the "flash sideways", alternate timeline thing that had been going on during season 6. All of those, starting with s6e1 where they are all on the plane that lands successfully in LAX were not alternate universe scenes, but some sort of limbo/purgatory where everyone's soul/spirit was stuck in until they remembered everything.

Jack died on the island after putting the cork back in the underground well. Hurley & Ben lived for several more years on the island with desmond, who knows... another thousand years? In death there is no time. Everyone else died somehow; by accident, old age, disease... they didn't really get into all that. But they were all dead and stuck in that place until they reconnected and remembered the most important people/events of their life.

It was really a genius way to close the spiritual aspect of the show, since it covered almost all the 6 major religions. They never mentioned heaven or hell, or reincarnation or valhalla... they were just all finally at peace and they could "move on".

I knew nothing was gonna be answered, and I'm glad they didn't. I had fun watching for the last 6 years trying to figure things out - it's such a thinking-man's TV show. If they did waste time explaining things, it would probably be boring, and probably upset a lot of people. Just like the Matrix sequels. It's best to leave the really weird shit up to the audience's imagination & interpretation.

Damon & Carlton always said Lost is a show about the characters. Seasons 1 & 2 were about their past. Seasons 3 & 4 were about the future. Seasons 5 & 6 were about life/good and death/evil. I don't care how things worked, or how a smoke monster exists, or how an island jumps though time. This is like the Twilight Zone. Sometimes fucked up shit just happens. It was never about the destination, it was all about the journey.

Time to watch the pilot episode of season 1 again.
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

smash

Post by smash » 25 May 2010 08:37

Really how else could end the show but in some fashion similar to exactly what they did.

My problem with the 'moving on' flash sideways stuff, is I wondered how much of it was pandering to the season speculation about purgatory. But again, what else could they do.

As a show about characters...there probably has never been a better show made. A+. The criticism rests solely with their writing themselves into corners with the storyline sometimes.

I felt the finale was a bit rushed with the reunions.. Suddenly just touching solved it. The only plausibility I could give it was that the 'remembering' was speeding up as more people got affected.

Again, why are we seeing flash sideways/purgatory about Desmond and Kate and alternate realities? Confusing, but as Sexy Dexy said...you can't ponder these things too much.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 25 May 2010 13:26

Law & Order series finale tonight was about some High School or something...

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 28 May 2010 05:45

smash

Post by smash » 29 May 2010 15:46