FlashForward

TV talk.

Moderator: smash

Dex
Big Daddy

FlashForward

Post by Dex » 25 Sep 2009 16:56

I thought FlashForward was really well done, and I enjoyed every minute of it... but I worry that they can't keep my attention for an entire season (or more). The acting was very good for TV, and the story is quite compelling. The characters are all unique, and likable in their own right, and I'm sure more of their personalities will be fleshed out over time.

Based on the story, and whats to come, there's no way it would have been able to fit into a 2-hour movie, or even a trilogy of movies... but I worry that a 20+ hour season might be SUPER drawn out, and even worse if it doesn't wrap up by the finale. I trust David Goyer not to "fly by the seat of his pants" and "make shit up" as it appears that the two at the helm of Lost tend to do... I mean, the show centers around individual visions that everyone in the world had, of a future that may or may not happen, 6 months from now. Based on story progression, current time & "future time" have to start meeting up.

The entire story/idea/scrip HAD to have been completely fleshed out before the principal photography began, or else there would be HUGE plot holes and unexplained occurrences. We haven't seen that many of the "flashforwards", but we've seen enough to know the ultimate destination of the characters/story (unless the future can be changed), so the real story here is, how do we get from point A to point B. Or... if it's a bad future, avoid point B.

The entire future/blackout/dream/crazyness was a vision of 6 months in the future, so I'm not sure how long the "current time" timeline will take to catch up to that vision. Hopefully less than 6 seasons >_<

Oh a similar note, if you missed it, ABC is having an encore presentation of the pilot episode Friday (today) at 8:00pm

Thoughts?
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

efilflah

Re: FlashForward

Post by efilflah » 28 Sep 2009 04:36

was kinda hoping for a two hour pilot, the 1 hour felt very brief like not much was even covered at all. The setup has potential though, but the main issue I have is one you have yourself, how long to wrap things up?

I hope they make this season catch up to that 6 month timeline, then maybe introduce another instance of the flashforward then, or even earlier, I don't know, I can just see this getting itself into a hole sometime soon in terms of dragging itself out for the sake of it.

Hope I'm wrong though.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 29 Sep 2009 12:09

I kinda had the same feeling about the pilot feeling a bit...rushed? The overall concept of the show is cool, but it just seemed like people were figuring out stuff WAY too quickly about an event that would be unprecedented in human history. For example, one moment that just didn't ring true was when the azn FBI guy was watching the 'Islands in the Stream' video on YouTube while talking to his fiancee. Wasn't the first episode basically taking place the day of this event? Does anyone believe peoples' lives would return to normal that quickly? I mean, we're talking MILLIONS of men, women and children killed and injured worldwide, the worst disaster mankind has ever experienced, but it's amazing how easily people are depicted as dealing with it. I must admit, I'm very curious to see where they go from here, and how fast this 6 months moves in terms of episodes/seasons of the show.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 03 Oct 2009 14:45

Any enthusiasm I might have had for this show was basically stillborn.

A pastime my friends and I like to engage in while watching television is spouting off the most ridiculous possible path for the show to take, and upon my first sally I hit upon what turned out to be, at least in the book, the actual cause of the event.

It took the wind right out of my sails.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 04 Oct 2009 20:44

Gah! Second episode was ghastly.

I thought this show was all about the thriller/drama? Whats with the comic relief? It felt like I was watching an episode of that pushing daisies show in parts. At least with something like Fringe you have a quirky character who can carry the weight of the comic elements believably whilst everyone else plays it deadpan.

Couple that with dialogue repetition (as if the viewer had to be reminded of what was going on every 10 minutes) I have to admit this show isn't shaping up to be what I'd hoped.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 13 Oct 2009 05:19

From entertainment weekly;
As expected, ABC has picked up FlashForward for a full season.

The Lost wannabe (and could be) has been a solid performer on Thursday night, boosting ABC’s 8 pm time period 32 percent over last year (when Ugly Betty aired there). Even more impressive, its premiere episode was the first regular program since Friends to beat Survivor in the 18-49 demo.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 27 Oct 2009 08:21

ruh roh?
FlashForward showrunner Marc Guggenheim has departed the ABC series, reports AICN.

No reason has yet been cited for his exit, but reports suggest that network executives have been unhappy with the quality of the show's storytelling post-pilot.

The program, which stars Joseph Fiennes, Sonya Walger and Dominic Monaghan, was recently handed a full-season order by ABC and has continued to perform well in Thursday night ratings.

It is not yet known whether co-creator David Goyer will now serve as sole showrunner or if he will be joined by someone else.
Source: AICN