The Davis Code and general webcomic discussion

no description could cover what is likely to happen in here...

Moderator: Seriously

Seriously

The Davis Code and general webcomic discussion

Post by Seriously » 25 Nov 2007 11:09

Since this is the literature section, this goes here.

Is it wrong of me to show so much favortism to my own forum?

Oh wait, you'd have to post to tell me, so nevermind.

Anyways, here are some examples of comics on the web. Some are meant to be funny, some are not. Some are meant to be but aren't, and some are but shouldn't be.

Let's go:

Dr. McNinja

An absurd little comic that has a doctor who is also a ninja battling Ronald McDonald, "Paul Bunyan", teenagers on ninja drugs, ninja zombies and his own mother among other things. In his practice he has two assistents, a gorrilla and a velociraptor. His mentor in Ben Franklin and he wants to be Batman.

Sinfest

I don't actually like this one much anymore. Occasionally. It's about some Calvin and Hobbes looking motherfuckers always trying and failing at falling in love, a random cat and dog and religion in general, interspersed with random poetry sessions and calligraphy. God, Satan, Jesus, Buddha and a Chinese Dragon represent the higher powers.

Qwantz [Dinosaur Comics]

All the comics look the same, only the dialogue changes. The author uses the comic to humorously debate the finer points of science, linguistics, philosophy and religion. Or make fart jokes, whichever.

XKCD

This guy is not afraid to make jokes that you'll have to fire up wikipedia to get. Delves heavily into computer science, physics and mathmatics, but I find it consistently amusing anyways. The author also has a strong romantic streak.

Achewood

This one doesn't exactly have punch-lines. For example, the whole point of this comic is basically the seventh panel, but it would only be meaningful to you if you've read the comic regularly and know the character's personalities. It is heavily character driven.

Perry Bible Fellowship

I don't know what to say about this one really. It's hard to give an example comic because they're all pretty different. They just share the same dark sarcasm.

Minus

This is my favorite one, but I actually don't really like Minus on the whole (and I really only like that comic out of context) it's surreal, but in a style that I don't like, but hey different strokes, because I like this next one.

Rice boy

Anonther one that's hard to describe. The little guy must save the world, but you're on acid I guess.

These are basically all the ones I pay attention to, I know there are others. Let's talk about them. Or you could just post examples of ones you like.

psyper

Re: Well fuck, let's talk about webcomics.

Post by psyper » 27 Nov 2007 21:05

I enjoy reading geek comics when im on my night shift - gets me through it but I've lost a lot of links to some of them.

I vaguely remember one where someone is showing a new guy round the office and in the server room it snows and they end up wearing thick coats mainly worn by explorers of the north pole etc. It also involved tux the penguin sitting by one of the servers covered in snow. Another part of the comic goes on for several weeks about a guy trying to water a plant pot he found by another guys desk - thinking its just soil - turns out its the guys coffee and he gets upset cos its 'watered down' now. Not at all funny to describe but funny to read. - I've lost the link to it now and cant remember what its called so if anyone has any recollection of what that maybe please help me!!

I've read the first 100 XKCD strips in one sitting. Yeah it was a really quiet night.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 09 Jan 2008 11:58

One of my fave stops for webcomics is Clone.Manga, home of Tomoyo42's Room:

And also Nana's Everyday Life, the only webcomic to ever make me cry...

:cry:

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 23 Jan 2008 16:16

Sum azn girl is making me post this. I only post because of surprising lack of my 2 favs:

Penny Arcade
Not always funny, but never too stupid either.

VG Cats
Always makes me laugh. I wish he would update more often.

Applegeeks
I used to read this all the time, but not so much lately. Still love the art.
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 11 Feb 2008 00:18

I only recently discovered Dresden Codak

Holy shit it's pretty:

It's also sciency. I don't know how true or not the things it says are (because it's physics and the like), but it uses science words and things a lot.

It's currently in the middle of a storyline, but a good deal of the archives are just one-shots.

Seriously

Re: Webcomics,

Post by Seriously » 27 Feb 2008 01:02

Garfield.

It isn't funny. It may never have been funny.

This is strange. Everyone has an inbuilt sense of humor, how can a comic that's been running for so long consistently and without fail miss the mark?

There are theories,

One thing I noticed, frantically creating new strips for hours on end in a vicious giggling fit, was that there are a lot of really strange concepts buried in the Garfield archives. The comic seems like it should be funny. How could a comic that incorporated any of the following panels not be funny?

ImageImageImageImage

Somehow, Garfield manages. And the secret, it turns out, is through overkill:

Here, the punchline is set up twice and delivered twice (visually and through dialogue). As Eric Burns pointed out, often saying less is much more effective. It allows the reader to connect the dots, and engages them in the narrative. It leaves room for interpretation, and for Garfield's true thoughts to only sound in the theater of the reader's mind.

It's strange

but all the evidence points to the fact that Garfield is simply miles better with the main character silenced or absent.

Let's compare and contrast,

How can we explain this phenomenon?

Jim Davis and co are intelligent people, they have to know what they're doing when they make these strips. I don't buy that they are simply overdoing it, that they are just incorporating redundant set-ups and punchlines.

It can only be intentional. But why? Why deliberately poison each and every comic they make with a character who only sabotages the humor, whose muting or removal only changes the comic for the better?

It must be trying to tell us something. Something that can't just be said.

He's trying to show us, he's hiding the secret in mediocre one-note phoned-in plain sight, but we have to be clever enough to find it.

I submit that Jim Davis is the Da Vinci of our time, and is the caretaker of secret so explosive only those with the wisdom to discover it for themselves can know.

The truth is buried, but all the pieces are right in front of our eyes, can you put them together?

You are not alone, other people are on the case, though they may not yet understand the enormnity of it.

Garfield silent
Garfield absent

Further examples:

JIM DAVIS WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL US?

Kingolf

Re: The Davis Code and general webcomic discussion

Post by Kingolf » 27 Feb 2008 21:21

Also: http://schlockmercenary.com/

Schlockmercenary is quality hard sci-fi. Pretty ugly for the first few years, but the writing is excellent.

And: http://www.errantstory.com/comic.php

Errant Story is a semi-parodic fantasy comic. Very pretty if you can deal with the anime style.

And: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

Gunnerkrigg Court is another fantasy-comic, kindof. Even prettier.

Seriously

Re: The Davis Code and general webcomic discussion

Post by Seriously » 14 May 2008 09:17

Speaking of webcomics with nice art,

Which I was only 3 months ago

here are anthropomorphic cats acting out the drama that figures into their ongoing mission to circumvent prohibition in 1920's St. Louis.