Raw Shark Texts

no description could cover what is likely to happen in here...

Moderator: Seriously

Seriously

Raw Shark Texts

Post by Seriously » 10 Apr 2007 13:30

So, since this is the official literature forum, I thought I'd mention a book I'd just read.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but I have a special love for things that bewilder me.

So: The Raw Shark Texts.

Anyone read it? It's pretty new, maybe I'm following a trend or something.

What's it about?

Well, a man has recurring amnesia, but he finds out it's due to a fish made out of ASCII characters that's eating his soul.

Also, his girlfriend died, but he met a girl that's a lot like her character-wise.

Also, some guy is threatening to consume the earth with personality tests.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 07 Aug 2007 18:34

Also, it has one of the best-written cats I've seen.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 09 Aug 2007 14:58

Although I wish the author had expanded more on the environment he introduced instead of just going for The Confrontation.

It was interesting.

smash

Post by smash » 09 Aug 2007 17:37

I've never heard of such a thing. Can you explain it a bit more for my benefit?

exelis

Post by exelis » 09 Aug 2007 20:58

^^^ Awwww. Sympathy post. How sweet.

I'd love to talk about literature more, and read a hella lot more, but with my daytime responsibilities and 3rd-shift job, sleep takes precedence over reading. Hell, it's taken me almost a month to get through "Heat", and it's one of the best reads I've encountered in a long time.

smash

Post by smash » 10 Aug 2007 12:15

It wasn't a sympathy post...it wa sa genuine post. I'd love to understand you better than I do...but I never got my secret Seriously decoder ring. I'm just interested to know more about what it is you speak of!

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 10 Aug 2007 14:41

Alright I got this.

So, guy wakes up with acute retrograde amnesia, tra la la, we've got about 50,000 stories right here.

To narrow it down: homeslice is getting mail from himself and he eventually finds out he's being hunted by a predator that exists only in the abstract.

In this narrativaverse language, thought and ideas do not and have never disappeared after utterance, but form streams, rivers and flows between people and groups. This environment has come to support life with memetic-type DNA. Formless as we traditionally understand it.

So:

lampreys that feed on willpower
tiny schools of fish that feed on obsolete graphemes (i.e. the long "S")
sharks that eat your memory and sense of self
And Many More!

The lsecond-to-latter (a Ludovician) is what is hunting our hero, he's developed a taste for poor Eric Sanderson's brand of tragedy and figures to eat his entire soul this time, not just the bits and pieces he's been munching on that's resulted in Mr. Sanderson being a broken shell of a half of a man.

Poor Eric made some poor decisions based on dodgy mythology and thought he could keep the deceased love-of-his-life's memory alive in a sense vis-a-vis the thought shark.

He didn't. He paid for it pretty hard I think.

But now there's this one guys who through common-sense and good-old British can-do attitude discovered the secret to immortality where others couldn't, and hes figures to eat the world just to be safe.

And hes will, unless

Plus the hes tried to eat this one girl who's a lot like that one girl that started the tension.

So that's sort of maybe how it goes at the first and part of the middle.

I'm altered however.

smash

Post by smash » 10 Aug 2007 22:40

:(

I thought i followed that....

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 11 Aug 2007 00:15

I'd say it was the alzheimers, but I'm lost too. :(

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 11 Aug 2007 00:52

Neat.

Kind of like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but it's a shark eating his memories? And something wants to be immortal by eating the concept of the universe from his consciousness? Or did I fall off the train of thought on that one?

I'm guessing this is all an in his own head kind of thing and the other guy and new girl don't really exist. Personifications of processes that give faces and names to functions and flaws.

No?

Shut up Eamon?

You're a functional retard Eamon and you should just let Seriously go on about this because there may not even be an actual book and this forum substitutes for when Dr Marvin is away at his vacation home?

smash

Post by smash » 11 Aug 2007 03:45

Just added to amazon online order.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 11 Aug 2007 11:21

eamon angelface wrote:Neat.

Kind of like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but it's a shark eating his memories? And something wants to be immortal by eating the concept of the universe from his consciousness? Or did I fall off the train of thought on that one?

I'm guessing this is all an in his own head kind of thing and the other guy and new girl don't really exist. Personifications of processes that give faces and names to functions and flaws.

No?

Shut up Eamon?

You're a functional retard Eamon and you should just let Seriously go on about this because there may not even be an actual book and this forum substitutes for when Dr Marvin is away at his vacation home?
The Ludovician has basically ate all his memories at the start of the book.

As for the person who discovered a way to immortalize himself, what he does is spread his personality to other people.

Man, plot details all up ins.