Dune 7

no description could cover what is likely to happen in here...

Moderator: Seriously

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 20 Sep 2006 20:56

I manned up and got through the Butlerian Jihad okay, but the Machine Crusade is totally kicking my ass.

I'm stalling out.

Maybe next year.

smash

Post by smash » 21 Sep 2006 07:33

Really? Why?

I'm suffering through Heretics of Dune, and almost half way in, tho at this pace, I'll never get through it and Chapterhouse: Dune before hunting trip (where I intended to read Hunters of Dune).

I can't believe that the Butlerian Jihad is kicking your ass. I found them to be very easy reads, almost too simplistic at points, but a welcome change to: plans within plans within plans.

At least you know now who Erasamus the Robot is. :P

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 21 Sep 2006 21:06

It's kicking my ass. It's beating me up, punching me in the face repeatedly.

I think the hit I most remember is when what's-his-face-badass-who-lost-his-father from Ginaz was literally referred to as the..."enigmatic loner".

That one was actually a punch in the stomach. I...vomited.

Or how Vorian Atriedies is the wily trickster who takes crazy risks and thinks outside the box, but his best friend is stodgy and protocol-driven. And they are, the both of them, generals. And they loved the same woman.

Oh yeah, also how Mr. Harkonnen totally searches for his lost one true love, grieves for the loss of his one true love, marries his one true love's sister, knocks his one true love's sister up, starts a family with his one true love's sister and totally moves on from his one true love to his one true love's sister in less time than it takes for the planet to swing around the sun twice.

Or how even though Zufa Cenva is totally fucking psychic and incredibly smart she can't rev up her brain enough to appreciate the fact that her daughter is the third coming of Jesus like she so obviously is.

I had to fix myself a whiskey, I started crying.

You might never believe this now, but I'm really not a lit snob. I can love some crap-ass books, but H & A aren't giving me any candy to go with all those punches in the face like Brown or Palahniuk (or Rand) do.

But sure: I like Erasmus. Omnius too, actually. He at least asked the question I myself was asking about the whole humans fight machines thing, even though he gets shouted down, or something.

I think Dune, all of Dune, is about suffering now.

The more you suffer, the more you love.

It hurts so much. I'll finish the books.

smash

Post by smash » 22 Sep 2006 01:27

I politely warned you that they were more pulp sci-fi than heady sci-fi. And I recognize that, but I gotta admit, I prefer them over the trippy Frank Herbert Dunes. I hate reading something that shows me how incredibly stupid I am.

(Kind of like most of your wordy posts. :D)

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 22 Sep 2006 02:11

Yeah so,

As much as I've bitched about H & A just now, I've gotten further in their books than I have re-reading Chapterhouse.

I started Chapterhouse earlier, too.

The current stats:

H & A: 3 books (Hunters, House Corrino, B. Jihad), 1700ish pages total.
Chapterhouse: 100 pages.

Honestly, I don't get that much of Frank either, it's something like looking at pretty clouds: it's nice but your neck starts hurting and people are trying to walk places and they keep running into you. But in the meantime you're like "Pretty..."

Facetiously

Post by Facetiously » 23 Sep 2006 02:35

The Dune novels, especially the last few, become (as you've already noted) less and less easy to read. Even Dune takes some effort to wrap your mind around.

For more readable Frank, try The White Plague. It's less a sci-fi novel than it is a thriller, but it's one of my favourites.

smash

Post by smash » 23 Sep 2006 02:38

Facetiously wrote:The Dune novels, especially the last few, become (as you've already noted) less and less easy to read. Even Dune takes some effort to wrap your mind around.

For more readable Frank, try The White Plague. It's less a sci-fi novel than it is a thriller, but it's one of my favourites.

I really thought Dune was a good blend. It had plenty of deep thought but good simple story. Also there were a lot of commentary on human conditions THAT I UNDERSTOOD. Not so with the rest of the series.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 05 Oct 2006 05:53

smash

Post by smash » 05 Oct 2006 21:15

hahha.

I'm 50% through Chapterhouse: Dune. Yay me.

Actually, when I got into it, I really enjoyed Heretics and so far Chapterhouse. I'm digging the Miles Teg, Odrade and the Bene Gesserit witches. Oh, and of course the Duncan Idaho. Always the Duncan Idaho.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 05 Oct 2006 21:58

I've only been on sporadically,

perhaps I missed your last sig altogether?

EDIT: Or was this about my sig?

Sorry.

REVENGE OF THE EDIT:

Now I am concerned, I have missed something.

Is it a secret? I will be forever wondering...

SON OF THE REVENGE OF THE EDIT:

Or is this all a trick?

Am I being experimented on right now?

I've always thought people were watching me, evaluating my performance, judging me.

Always watching.

Maybe it's irrational, or maybe it's all those two-way mirrors in my bedroom with the people and clipboards behind them.

The people following me around, with the writing, with the scribbling, the constant note taking, the scoring, the comparing and contrasting, the factorial analyzing of variance.

I can't ride elevators. It is too crowded.

RETURN OF THE REVENGE OF THE SON OF THE EDIT:

Oh, wait, nevermind, that's just Verizon.

smash

Post by smash » 06 Oct 2006 00:47

It's neat. This forum saves your sigs from the time of the post. If you look at an older post by me, you should find my older signature.

:D

I've been playing with. Me likey!@

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 06 Oct 2006 08:17

And you have the same signature back until September 18, and before that you appear to have none at all.

Same for mine, and I change sigs and avatars constantly.

You are messing with me aren't you?

EDIT: Keep in mind that any computer I can access the internet from probably didn't ride the same bus to computer school that all the other computers did.

smash

Post by smash » 08 Oct 2006 02:23

Seriously wrote:And you have the same signature back until September 18, and before that you appear to have none at all.

Same for mine, and I change sigs and avatars constantly.

You are messing with me aren't you?

EDIT: Keep in mind that any computer I can access the internet from probably didn't ride the same bus to computer school that all the other computers did.
There was about a week when I had one about praising Shai-Hulud :D I can't find it now either, but it did stay.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 30 Oct 2006 10:11

...and, finished Battle of Corrin.

For those of you who care, i.e. myself.

smash

Post by smash » 30 Oct 2006 19:03

about 80% through Hunters. Sup hunting weekend.