Inception

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

efilflah

Re: Inception

Post by efilflah » 28 Jul 2010 05:31

I agree with all of you, and none of you at the same time.

(but mostly this)
The symbol of the top really pulls the themes together by at last making the audience finally experience the full effect of what inception feels like

So if you then follow the film threads where Cobb is urged to take a leap of faith, if you as an audience do so with a story thesis that makes you happy then whatever the "real" truth is, hardly matters

smash

Post by smash » 28 Jul 2010 09:08

AngelBaby wrote:
UncleMao wrote:Sneaky sneaky Nolan.
Yes, the entire film is very meta. One could argue that on one level Nolan is pointing out how all movies are essentially a "shared dream" in which the audience is brought into a world created by someone else and asked to let it become their new reality for a brief time, while many of the same rules apply. Unless a dramatic movie is just over the top from the beginning, one can be jolted out of being completely absorbed by a film if the characters do something that doesn't fit with reality; this happened to me while watching Salt last weekend.

Someone else pointed out that every character in the film was analogous to a person involved in making a Hollywood movie. Cobb was the director, Arthur the producer, Ariadne the screenwriter, Eames the actor, Yusef the technical wiz, Saito the big money investor, and Fischer is the audience. I don't know if this was intentional on Nolan's part, or merely the creative thinking of a reviewer, but it's another interesting layer to consider in a movie that had many.

It was intentional. Nolan said as he tinkered on the script for 10 years, he decided the process of making a dream was the same as making a movie with the same key players. It fit nicely because he needed an ensemble of characters and it was just synergy. I happen to think that's brilliant. More importantly, for the first time in my life now I can understand what the fuck a producer does for a movie :P.

Smiley

Post by Smiley » 28 Jul 2010 18:40

I read in one of IMDB's forum in which a poster suggested that everything in the movie took place in Cobb's dream state because there was no way he could be in Paris one moment and Mombasa the next. I sort of agree with him because it reminded me of Naked Lunch, where the setting suddenly cuts to a different time and space.

Another poster suggested that Mal was not a projection of Cobb's subconscious but was her entering his limbo to exact vengeance for making her the first recipient of inception. Another suggestion was that she did not jump to her death in the supposed real world but was her way of escaping limbo and back to reality, just like Ariadne, when she jumped near the end. Also, when Cobb finally met his kids, he brought flowers (I think), but did he also bring gifts or toys or maybe even a pinwheel? I think the pinwheel resided not in Fischer's mind but Cobb's. By taking the pinwheel out of the safe, Cobb could finally believe that everything would be resolved and be with his kids, awake or not.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 01 Aug 2010 11:22

“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 03 Aug 2010 06:23

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 03 Aug 2010 14:02

This is REALLY weird if you've seen Inception already...

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/ ... 033&s=date

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 08 Aug 2010 08:02

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 20 Aug 2010 13:07

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 31 Oct 2010 09:32

Re: smash

A producer is a title that can mean a number of things. On the most basic level, a producer "makes it happen". It's a mix of being a logistician, accountant, timekeeper, and overall facilitator. In a White collar job the deadlines are a little more static. But in a film environment the producer has a variety of people they answer to. They are first and foremost there to aid the director as best as can be achieve his vision to screen. That frees the director to worry about what's on screen and how it is presented. The producer holds the brass tacks. They plan the schedule. They task the right crew. They ensure what needs to be there on the day is there. So the producer is the bad guy. The whip cracker. A producer doing his job right is the directors best friend and everyone elses nightmare. It's their responsibility to make sure a project is on time and on budget. They're equally answerable to the director as they are to the film company.

The producer is the quintesential Excel spreadsheet guy. They also plan all the rosters and tasking and everything. It's the ultimate headfuck job.

Then you have executive producers. Some get that credit for just bankrolling the movie. Some like Spielberg take the role in a mentoring capacity, usually to guide and offer instruction to a new or upcoming director. Just like Peter Jackson to Neill Blomkamp in District 9. They don't do any of the day to day taskmaster stuff. They do however mostly have power to okay things supplemental to what the director might not have had prior. Like added budgets or an extended timeline. A heavy hitting exec prod has the power to pull the plug on a project instantly, if they feel things are getting out if control.

That's why a director mostly tries to pander to them. Unless he's James cameron or something.

Then again some guys just get an exec prod credit for knowing people in the film company. Like Bob Shaye. Who contribute nothing constructive and just make an existingly painful process even harder.

Hope that helps.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 04 Dec 2010 09:58

If you haven't pre-ordered it already;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZG981E

Inception Blu-ray, DVD & digital copy for $17.99, with free 2-3 day shipping.

psyper

Post by psyper » 04 Dec 2010 18:27

Dex wrote:If you haven't pre-ordered it already;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZG981E

Inception Blu-ray, DVD & digital copy for $17.99, with free 2-3 day shipping.
or £14.99 in real money:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inception-Tripl ... B003NE4V3C
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 08 Dec 2010 05:35

I just received a text from Warner Brothers saying to enter "528491" with your remote at any time that the special features disk is in your blu-ray player (playing of course) to unlock a hidden digital comic created by the filmmakers.