Moon

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Dex
Big Daddy

Moon

Post by Dex » 24 Oct 2009 16:11

I loved this movie. LOVED
Acting was phenomenal, directing was outstanding & editing/sound were unbelievable.
This isn't in my top 10 or top 20 movies of all time, mostly due to re-watchability (hardly any), but it was without a doubt a spectacular film. Everyone should check this out when it's on DVD.
*SPOILER WARNING*
Basically Sam Rockwell is on a 3-year mission, stuck on the moon. He's taking care of 4 lunar collector machines that harvest and periodically rocket back to Earth supplies of helium-3, from the surface of the moon. It is a solo-manned station, with the exception of his HAL-like robotic couterpart, known as GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey) and he takes care of all the problems and the transportation of the harvester energy back to Earth.

There is no real-time link between Sam (both character name & actor) and Earth, so his only direct real-time interaction is with GERTY, the intelligent computer whose function is to attend to his day to day needs. With such little human contact and all of it indirect, he feels that three years is far too long to be so isolated; he knows he is beginning to hallucinate as the end of his three years approaches.

All he wants is to return to Earth to be with his wife Tess and their infant daughter Eve, who was born just prior to his leaving for this job. With two weeks to go, he gets into an accident at one of the mechanical harvesters and is rendered unconscious.

Injured, he awakens back at the station in the infirmary. GERTY tells him that a rescue team named Eliza will come to the station to clean up the aftermath of the accident. After his recuperation, he takes an unauthorized trip back to the broken harvester, where he makes an unexpected discovery; he finds his own body, still alive, inside the transport vehicle.

Because of his find, he begins to doubt his sanity, then his true identity, then the company and GERTY's willingness to do what is best for him. Because of his resulting beliefs, his sole mission becomes how to get back to Earth on his own.

Eventually Sam finds that he is a clone, and so is his other self. He has been cloned several times before, and millions of times thereafter. He can never return home, and each clone will die after 3 years, and a new clone is spawned to replace him. He is in a perpetual confined work environment, and is forever doomed to repeat himself.

A-
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

efilflah

Re: Moon

Post by efilflah » 24 Oct 2009 19:44

yeh twas an awesome film.

I liked how non-standard it was. How it took the road less travelled with it's plot devices. For once the eccentric robot assistant didn't betray the protagonist in the interest of self preservation, for once the two clones didn't try and kill each other because they believed they were the true original, and they didn't try and keep the obvious secrets to the very end for some big reveal. Its the things like these, which you see in every copycat sci-fi flick that wants to be the next Solaris, 2001, Thing, or whatever that makes this film miles above most other modern sci-fi offerings you see today.

Smiley

Re: Moon

Post by Smiley » 26 Oct 2009 08:04

Great film. Top notch acting and writing.

But I thought it was about 20-30 minutes too short! This is one of the few times I'd wished a film was longer.

I would have loved to see Sam, near the end of his life, hallucinate even more. And that's my only gripe with this film was that you never quite get the tension and mystery that the trailer promised. It would have been nice to make his living quarters either huge and too spacious(making it seem as if he was the last of the crew to leave thus intensifying the feeling of isolation, much like Silent Running) or very cramped and not all together neat and tidy.

And really, it was very refreshing to see a robot NOT trying the kill the human for once!