not my type of Xbox games

Gamer talk.

Moderator: Dex

psyper

not my type of Xbox games

Post by psyper » 14 Apr 2009 06:01

Okay so my other half managed to convince me to invest our xmas money back in january on an xbox 360. I'm a game person but I'm not a game console person. Theres nothing I like to do better than spend hours of my free time playing some random game on the pc.

My biggest issue with getting a console was that we are commiting ourselves to the wrong console - first it was the wii and I managed to talk her out of it as the nolvetly factor would wear off and we'll be left with a crappy console. So our 2nd option was an xbox. What clinched the deal for me was that it had red alert. So I've been playing it off and on til last month-ish. My other half has been having fun with sonic unleashed and laura croft. And we've also been streaming tv episodes down from my fileserver upstairs which keeps it busy.

However, I love games like Elite, Privateer, Wing Commander, Federation of Free Traiders, Homeworld Catalysm, X3 etc etc etc and for the live of me I can't find anything for the xbox anywhere that matches that sort of calibre. I could even find myself totally lost in Eve online if it wasn't sooo expensive long term. Each week I scan through gamespot searching for anything that would pull my interest in but nothing. why is xbox full of FPS's?? You would've thought some nice space opera where you fly through space trading, destroying, following missions, jumpgating etc would port quite nicely over to the xbox but nadaa.

One game my friend has recommended is slypeed which is a vague jap game which is pretty good but very restrictive in what you can do - you can only follow the storyline and not really make you're own rules/goals etc.

So I'm throwing this out to dlt - anyone know of any games that would be of interest to me??
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

efilflah

Re: not my type of Xbox games

Post by efilflah » 15 Apr 2009 01:38

Unfortunately, those genres are too niche to get big backing and thus decent console support so they are probably seriously lacking in quantity (and quality) on any of the consoles. Most developers don't forsee a large enough return in developing for what they believe to be a smaller target market, and thus decide to cater to the masses by adding yet another third/first person action shooter to the mix.

I myself love point and click adventure games with a deep story and lots of atmosphere but again that genre isn't the popularest so it lacks developer support. Hell, even on pc you only get the small indie developers coming out with the adventure games and a lot of those leave a lot to be desired. The last decent adventure game I played was Still Life, which they are releasing a sequel for very soon I hear - yay!

Getting back to you. I'd recommend Mass Effect for it's high production values and decent gameplay/story and sci-fi setting balance. There's not really any space simmyness in it, but it reminds me of Privateer 2: The Darkening's cutscenes.

There's Star Trek: Legacy, which I've not played, but if you like the ST universe then I'd imagine it's gotto be pretty awesome for you. *keeps an eye out for Eve's approval*

I don't know of anything else.

psyper

Re: not my type of Xbox games

Post by psyper » 17 Apr 2009 07:36

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen Mass Effect being played at my work and although it looks awesome and the gameplay looks good its too story orientated for me and you seem to spend the most time running around as a first person shooter which I dont really enjoy. Never really thought of Legacy until you mentioned it although the vids I've just seen don't impress me all that much - not sure why. I used to be such a star trek fan and still enjoy watching it - I'll be watching the new film when it premiers while im on holiday over in the states.

Looks like I'm back on the PC - gotta try and get X3 to work at some point!!

Still Life looks pretty cool by the way - the wife loves all that sort of stuff watches CSI, Criminal Minds etc etc all the time.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.