Windows Easy Transfer

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

gulliver

Windows Easy Transfer

Post by gulliver » 25 Feb 2008 04:03

I bought a new desktop a few months ago which is running vista. There are a lot of mp3 and *ahem* video files on my old desktop which runs Windows 2000 that i'd like to transfer onto the new one. I've installed easy transfer onto the old desktop and tried transfering the files using a flashstick but everytime I try it asks for a password and even though I put in the password it tells me they dont match :x

Now, Ive bought myself an easy transfer usb cable and the fuckin dick in the shop that I bought it told me it would work even though the requirements say the source computer must be running XP or Vista.

Has anyone come across a similiar problem or knows of a driver I can download to save my sanity?

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: Windows Easy Transfer

Post by AngelBaby » 25 Feb 2008 04:41

lolz Windows. :lol:

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 25 Feb 2008 05:04

AngelBaby wrote:lolz Windows. :lol:
Pulsating veins are now protruding from my temple, scanner style.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 25 Feb 2008 06:28

psyper

Post by psyper » 01 Mar 2008 13:15

What I would do and have done many times in the past is to move the pron outside of the my docs folder on the old machine (if its there) and onto a root folder then remove the hard drive and plug it in to the new desktop as a secondary drive. - if you dont want it as another drive just copy->paste->wipe the doggy stuff over.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

psyper

Post by psyper » 01 Mar 2008 13:20

2nd option is to use a 'cross-over' network cable and connect the two pcs via their network cards. Create a share folder on your new pc and navigate to it on the old one and move the files over as above post.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

smash

Post by smash » 02 Mar 2008 21:33

psyper wrote:2nd option is to use a 'cross-over' network cable and connect the two pcs via their network cards. Create a share folder on your new pc and navigate to it on the old one and move the files over as above post.

Or use the router/cablemodem/hub I'm sure he has.

For some reason, psyper, I just assumed this wasn't an option for him because it was like 'duh!' But re-reading...I don't think he's a computer guy, so maybe he didn't know you could do this?

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 03 Mar 2008 08:10

smash wrote:
psyper wrote:2nd option is to use a 'cross-over' network cable and connect the two pcs via their network cards. Create a share folder on your new pc and navigate to it on the old one and move the files over as above post.

Or use the router/cablemodem/hub I'm sure he has.

For some reason, psyper, I just assumed this wasn't an option for him because it was like 'duh!' But re-reading...I don't think he's a computer guy, so maybe he didn't know you could do this?
You're right smash I'm not a "Computer Guy" and I have no experince of transfering files between old and new desktops. In fact I thought simply copying/pasting a rather large zip file on a flash stick would solve all my problems initially but I'd like to think I can be shown with relative ease "how to" when it comes to computers.

The source computer is an old lemon. I'll post its exact specifications when I get a chance. Now bare with me here, but arent "cross over" network cables of the same variety as ethernet cables? If so then the old lemon has no input for such a connection, only a standard telephone cable one (which is probably all I need, but like I said...)

I'm not gonna ask pysper or yourelf to spoon feed me through either of your suggestions. I'll do a little research and see what I came up with.

Now I think i'll go back to the shop with that transfer cable that I paid for and choke that cunt behind the counter to death with it.

psyper

Post by psyper » 03 Mar 2008 15:18

smash wrote: Or use the router/cablemodem/hub I'm sure he has.

10 years behind a helpdesk has taught me never to assume anything from anyone asking IT help! The router path would be my 2nd choice as I have one but it sounded like he only had one computer and transfering files to another one computer so a hub would be of no use to him before now.

Gulliver - a cross over cable is needed when connecting two computers direcctly together (without a hub in the way) - basically normal ethernet cables have the same pins connected to the same pins at either ends - trying to think how to describe this... .... the right hand pin is always on the right and the left hand on the left - - however if you wanted to connect two computers up together these need to be swapped over in the middle so that the outward signal goes into the inward socket at the other end (explaining this stuff doesnt help after a cafeen fueled night shift!). But in your case this wont work if you only have a modem socket as that will only connect to a telephone line so my explination is null and void really.

I suppose the best way is option one in your case - depending on your warranty conditions with your new pc. A google search on installing a secondary hard drive should show you what you need to do. Remember to take your files out of your old profile folders before transfering as you wont be able to access it on your new pc. - either that or grab the nearest IT savvy friend and pile them with beer.

smash

Post by smash » 04 Mar 2008 08:09

actually a jump drive IS the easiest solution. I bought a 2gb stick for like less than 20$ now.

But, please ask away. We are happy to help man. Specifically ask and we'll get you the answer.

psyper

Post by psyper » 06 Mar 2008 23:27

smash wrote:Specifically ask and we'll get you the answer.
or die trying godamit!!

And yep - portable usb drive is the way to go and easier. I just find my way easier for myself cos when I get a new machine I'm usually salvaging the parts from the old machine anyway.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 07 Mar 2008 07:29

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I used a portable usb drive before to move some mp3's. Wheni took them off the drive onto the new box and tried to play them I keep gettin an error message. Cant remember right now what it said but i figured it had something to do with the different operating systems. Although I'm just clucthing at straws with that guess.

Holy Fail.

Anyway, I'm off to prague in the morning and when i get back I'll have both comps in my apartment. Then I can work on it when I get home from work. I'll have LOADS of questions for you tech heads then.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 07 Mar 2008 07:50

gulliver wrote:I mentioned earlier in this thread that I used a portable usb drive before to move some mp3's. Wheni took them off the drive onto the new box and tried to play them I keep gettin an error message. Cant remember right now what it said but i figured it had something to do with the different operating systems. Although I'm just clucthing at straws with that guess.
WTF.

mp3s aren't supposed to care about OS. Mebbe yours have some kinda DRM attached to them? For instance, AAC music files purchased from iTunes have to be authorized to play on a particular computer.

smash

Post by smash » 08 Mar 2008 05:38

gulliver wrote:I mentioned earlier in this thread that I used a portable usb drive before to move some mp3's. Wheni took them off the drive onto the new box and tried to play them I keep gettin an error message. Cant remember right now what it said but i figured it had something to do with the different operating systems. Although I'm just clucthing at straws with that guess.

Holy Fail.

Anyway, I'm off to prague in the morning and when i get back I'll have both comps in my apartment. Then I can work on it when I get home from work. I'll have LOADS of questions for you tech heads then.
\
Ohh. I have a theory.

You copied them but unplugged the drive before they actually really copied. USB devices trick you into thinking they are done working before they actually are. Try it again and let it sit for a while. A trick would be to go to the option to 'remove the device' before just unplugging it.