ebay

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

eamon angelface

ebay

Post by eamon angelface » 31 Jul 2007 04:24

Question: Why does anyone bid on items on ebay like 5 fucking days before the auction closes? What is the thinking? Nobody else will bid? It's mind boggling that some asshat will bid on something 5, 6 hell even 1 day in advance.

Because in the last 3 seconds anyone with half a brain and an ebay sniper program will kill your bid. All you've done is waste your time and some of the smarter persons money.

Or am I wrong?

Is there reasoning that I don't see?
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

smash

Re: ebay

Post by smash » 31 Jul 2007 07:22

eamon angelface wrote:Question: Why does anyone bid on items on ebay like 5 fucking days before the auction closes? What is the thinking? Nobody else will bid? It's mind boggling that some asshat will bid on something 5, 6 hell even 1 day in advance.

Because in the last 3 seconds anyone with half a brain and an ebay sniper program will kill your bid. All you've done is waste your time and some of the smarter persons money.

Or am I wrong?

Is there reasoning that I don't see?
I do it all the time... The sniper programs are useless if you used Ebay the RIGHT WAY

I put in a max bid, which is the MOST I am willing to spend for something...

I don't care if it is a week a month or a day away...That's my limit to what I am willing to pay for said item.

Granted you run the risk of someone shill bidding you up, but I don't actually bid on something significant that way...or something I want... Im constantly shopping around and ebay is my LAST resort for that stuff.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 01 Aug 2007 02:14

Ya that's flawed logic for most items on there.

Like if I want something and I'm willing to pay 1000 bucks for I'm not going to jack the whole thing up so someone else who is willing to pay 1001 has the whole thing fucked 30 mins in to a 7 day auction. Where as if he bids 80 and I'm willing to bid 1000 I bid in the last 3 seconds and get it for 81$.

But I see people bidding on items you KNOW will be higher than they're bidding 3 days in. If it's something worth way more it should be common sense that everyone is watching the auction and all you've done is make them bid a little higher for no good reason.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 01 Aug 2007 02:26

I kind of see both sides on this issue.

I agree with Smash that I typically have a set limit in mind when bidding on eBay items, but in actual practice I do my bidding at the last minute as Eamon described, because it pisses me off to bid my limit 5 days before an auction closes, and then get an email a few hours later taunting me with YOU HAVE BEEN OUTBID. >_<

Either way, eBay counts on a whole lot of human psychology to make their business model as successful as it is.

Bligityblah

Re: ebay

Post by Bligityblah » 01 Aug 2007 04:42

eamon angelface wrote:All you've done is waste your time and some of the smarter persons money.
If they snipe for higher than I'm willing to pay I've deemed it not to be a good deal. Obviously they're not so smart for spending more than they need to. I used a snipe program once when I had to have a part but since I never really need anything off ebay I'll bid my max and if I'm outbid then so be it.