Western Comics or Manga?

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 26 Jan 2006 11:33

So, which is better? I haven't read either in many years. I'm just amazed at the artwork and stories in contemporary comics from DC, Marvel, etc. Then I look at manga and I'm amazed at how some complicated stories go on and on. A lot of information and emotional impact is conveyed in black and white images.

Your preference?

mikesisgod

Post by mikesisgod » 26 Jan 2006 11:38

manga i've found doesnt have the fractured attention span that western comics cater to.

western stuff is like soap operas, esp. from the big two.

"oh cyclops, what a big EYE you have"

badbart

Post by badbart » 26 Jan 2006 11:41

I've always loved black and white art, but the "same-ness" of so much of the manga leaves me cold.

I do love a well-done manga.

My vote: quality.

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 26 Jan 2006 11:42

FENCE SITTER! ;)

badbart

Post by badbart » 26 Jan 2006 12:19

puzzlehead wrote:FENCE SITTER!  ;)
Do you think that fences were wider back when that particular phrase was coined? I'm trying to imagine a fence in my neighborhood that I could sit on and..well, none would grant my humongous ass much comfort. So, either fences have become more narrow or asses have gotten bigger. Hmmm...maybe I better cut back on the Jumbo Jacks.

I have a good many manga titles in my collection, but far more are non-manga. But I live in the U S of frickin' A, so I don't see a whole lot of manga in my local shop. A whole lot of good manga, anyway.

My all-time favorite would have to be Masamune Shirow (who does far too little these days).

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 26 Jan 2006 12:29

<span style='color:blue'>I'm gonna have to straddle that fence as well (ow)...

I love both since my big brother got me into comics when I was a kid.

Fave manga: anything Shirow (Appleseed, Ghost In The Shell, Orion) and I liked Outlanders too

Fave American: X-Men, Witchblade, Fathom, The Tenth

Fave mix of the two: Adam Warren's Dirty Pair :wub: </span>

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 26 Jan 2006 22:01

AngelBaby wrote:<span style='color:blue'>Fave American: ... Witchblade, Fathom</span>
Next, she's gonna tell us she loves them because of the 'story'. :P

I don't know much about manga, but for the American books, I usually go with DC. My mind can't follow the soap-opera that is Marvel.

But I do own the first few of Fathom and quite a few of Witchblade. Michael Turner is the new Vargas.

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 26 Jan 2006 23:32

steampunk wrote:
AngelBaby wrote:<span style='color:blue'>Fave American: ... Witchblade, Fathom</span>
Next, she's gonna tell us she loves them because of the 'story'. :P

I don't know much about manga, but for the American books, I usually go with DC. My mind can't follow the soap-opera that is Marvel.

But I do own the first few of Fathom and quite a few of Witchblade. Michael Turner is the new Vargas.
<span style='color:blue'>Okay, I'll admit it...I'm a big Turner fan. I even bought the Superman/Batman issues he did not too long ago. But I do think Witchblade was well-written in the early years. I wasn't a huge fan of the TBS series, but I think it would make a great feature film if they got permission to do an R-rated version (like Elektra should have been, dammit). I can only imagine Sara's Witchblade outfit done with great special effects and make-up (think Mystique from the X-Men movies). :drool:

And they've been talking about a Fathom movie for years now... :unsure:</span>

mikesisgod

Post by mikesisgod » 27 Jan 2006 03:00

koike and kojima. try lone wolf and cub.
or otomo. it was about 18 years ago that akira was published by marvels' epic comics line.
'domu' from him is spectacular.

dc++ is your friend....

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 27 Jan 2006 03:48

I loved lone wolf and cub.

And then he hacked this site. Now I'm so-so on him.

I hate when manga is licensed by American publishers and then hacked apart or censored. Boo! Hisss!

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 27 Jan 2006 04:06

<span style='color:blue'>In my list of American faves I somehow managed to neglect the great Frank Miller...I don't know how. I'll pretty much read anything he does.

I hear they've started shooting the film version of 300. Zack Snyder, who did the awesome Dawn of the Dead remake is directing. :wub: </span>
Last edited by AngelBaby on 27 Jan 2006 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

mikesisgod

Post by mikesisgod » 27 Jan 2006 14:45

shirows manga transaltes better iinto a visual medium that moves.

if 'kinetic' could apply to a printed page...

his 'intron depot' comp books are superior to any western pin-up books.