The war on Terror

rion

Post by rion » 21 Aug 2005 07:12

I neither have STDs, nor am I inbred, nor is my 'twat' moldy, so try again.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 21 Aug 2005 09:01

Its not wise to try and argue with Mao. Contemplater learned the hard way.

<a href='http://dontlinkthis.com/board/index.php ... =6535&st=0' target='_blank'>Downfall of Cuntemplater</a>

Read her tale and realize that he'll do the same to you without batting an eye.

kvl

Post by kvl » 22 Aug 2005 12:22

BlackMage wrote:Its not wise to try and argue with Mao. Contemplater learned the hard way.

<a href='http://dontlinkthis.com/board/index.php ... =6535&st=0' target='_blank'>Downfall of Cuntemplater</a>

You are a sad little man Mage.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 22 Aug 2005 12:34

And you're one obedient puppy aren't ya kvl.

kvl

Post by kvl » 22 Aug 2005 15:58

BlackMage wrote:And you're one obedient puppy aren't ya kvl.
Yes, I am an obedient puppy. Watch me dance!

Oh yeah, i assume you will now be bringing your idiocy over from the unmentionable elsewhere over to here on account of a recent banning due to massive and rampant stupidity?

Sad. So very sad.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 22 Aug 2005 20:31

Actually, I was warning Rion not to make the same mistake as the other. You on the other hand have your head so far up someones ass you fail to see that, now don't you.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 22 Aug 2005 22:00

It's love like this that killed Lennon

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 22 Aug 2005 22:30

Love for who?

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 22 Aug 2005 23:23

UncleMao wrote:
rion wrote:I'd prefer to go live in a remote corner of the world where I'll be undisturbed than give a shit about anything anyone has said in this thread.
Brilliant. Since that would be in a Bizzaro world to this one, where nobody gives a shit about anything
That'd be more like a "groovy" world.

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>(I hate the groovies)</span>

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 22 Aug 2005 23:30

I need my Mojo, bayyybeee

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 23 Aug 2005 01:00

Interesting article on how do you "measure success" in the war on terror. From <a href='http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/ar ... barone.htm' target='_blank'>US News & World Reports</a>.
Metrics are hard to come by in the war on terrorism.

. . . Now comes the Pew Global Attitudes Project's recent survey of opinion in six Muslim countries to tell us that progress is being made in achieving that goal. Minds are being changed and in the right direction.

Most important, support for terrorism in defense of Islam has "declined dramatically," in the Pew report's words, in Muslim countries, except in Jordan (which has a Palestinian majority) and Turkey, where support has remained a low 14 percent. It has fallen in Indonesia (from 27 to 15 percent since 2002), Pakistan (from 41 to 25 percent since 2004), Morocco (from 40 to 13 percent since 2004), and among Muslims in Lebanon (from 73 to 26 percent since 2002). Support for suicide bombings against Americans in Iraq has also declined. The percentage reporting some confidence in Osama bin Laden is now under 10 percent in Lebanon and Turkey and has fallen sharply in Indonesia.

Similarly, when asked whether democracy was a western way of doing things or could work well in their own country, between 77 and 83 percent in Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, and Indonesia say it could work in their country--in each case a significant increase from earlier surveys. In Turkey, with its sharp political divisions, and Pakistan, with its checkered history, the percentages hover around 50 percent.

Polls in the United States may show that Americans have become less supportive of our efforts in Iraq as the suicide bombings and roadside-bomb attacks continue. But the Pew polls in these Muslim countries show that those attacks have moved Muslim opinion against the terrorists and toward democracy. Muslims around the world cannot help but notice that Iraq is moving, however imperfectly, toward representative government. They can't have missed the "Cedar Revolution" in Lebanon and the expulsion of Syrian forces from Beirut. They may have noticed the small concessions to democracy in Saudi Arabia.

They may also have noticed that Egypt will have its first contested election for president this year. . .
You're wrong, Rick. This does say a lot about the folks that chose a leader that said (however grammatically poorly) he would work to achieve a vision of "spreading freedom and democracy" versus someone that was personally articulate but couldn't articulate a plan.

To put the election in perspective, the last Democrat to win a higher percentage of the popular vote was Johnson in 1964.

And to put this current strategy for the "war on terror" in a historical perspective, read up on the criticism to FDR's choice to go after Germany first, when Japan was the one that attacked America. One of the reasons was that the U.S. feared Germany had WMDs (we called it "the bomb" back then). Guess what? Germany wasn't even close to having an atomic bomb. Oops - I guess FDR was wrong to invade. Maybe Michael Moore can remake that HBO special and call it Band of Babykillers...
Last edited by steampunk on 23 Aug 2005 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 23 Aug 2005 04:27

<span style='color:blue'>^^^
It's amazing just how much sense that makes... :) </span>

rion

Post by rion » 23 Aug 2005 06:30

BlackMage wrote:Its not wise to try and argue with Mao. Contemplater learned the hard way.

What, he'll try extra hard to come up with mean things to say about someone he's never spoken to?

Oh and btw, I see in that thread that you defended her, so that's kind of odd that you would use it to show me the "power of mao" when you yourself disagreed with his assholishness.

All in all, I really give less than two shits about either of you, but when it comes down to it Image

But I've learned to live with it.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 23 Aug 2005 06:48

I said it was harsh even for him. I never said it wasn't unwarranted or not. If its deserved, then by all means. I just believe there should be some compassion.

rick

Post by rick » 23 Aug 2005 07:02

steampunk wrote:Interesting article on how do you "measure success" in the war on terror.  From <a href='http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/ar ... barone.htm' target='_blank'>US News & World Reports</a>.
Metrics are hard to come by in the war on terrorism.

. . . Now comes the Pew Global Attitudes Project's recent survey of opinion in six Muslim countries to tell us that progress is being made in achieving that goal. Minds are being changed and in the right direction.

Most important, support for terrorism in defense of Islam has "declined dramatically," in the Pew report's words, in Muslim countries, except in Jordan (which has a Palestinian majority) and Turkey, where support has remained a low 14 percent. It has fallen in Indonesia (from 27 to 15 percent since 2002), Pakistan (from 41 to 25 percent since 2004), Morocco (from 40 to 13 percent since 2004), and among Muslims in Lebanon (from 73 to 26 percent since 2002). Support for suicide bombings against Americans in Iraq has also declined. The percentage reporting some confidence in Osama bin Laden is now under 10 percent in Lebanon and Turkey and has fallen sharply in Indonesia.

Similarly, when asked whether democracy was a western way of doing things or could work well in their own country, between 77 and 83 percent in Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, and Indonesia say it could work in their country--in each case a significant increase from earlier surveys. In Turkey, with its sharp political divisions, and Pakistan, with its checkered history, the percentages hover around 50 percent.

Polls in the United States may show that Americans have become less supportive of our efforts in Iraq as the suicide bombings and roadside-bomb attacks continue. But the Pew polls in these Muslim countries show that those attacks have moved Muslim opinion against the terrorists and toward democracy. Muslims around the world cannot help but notice that Iraq is moving, however imperfectly, toward representative government. They can't have missed the "Cedar Revolution" in Lebanon and the expulsion of Syrian forces from Beirut. They may have noticed the small concessions to democracy in Saudi Arabia.

They may also have noticed that Egypt will have its first contested election for president this year. . .
You're wrong, Rick. This does say a lot about the folks that chose a leader that said (however grammatically poorly) he would work to achieve a vision of "spreading freedom and democracy" versus someone that was personally articulate but couldn't articulate a plan.

To put the election in perspective, the last Democrat to win a higher percentage of the popular vote was Johnson in 1964.

And to put this current strategy for the "war on terror" in a historical perspective, read up on the criticism to FDR's choice to go after Germany first, when Japan was the one that attacked America. One of the reasons was that the U.S. feared Germany had WMDs (we called it "the bomb" back then). Guess what? Germany wasn't even close to having an atomic bomb. Oops - I guess FDR was wrong to invade. Maybe Michael Moore can remake that HBO special and call it Band of Babykillers...
I didn't read all that(and therefore choose to copy it all rather than try and select the neccessary bits), but I will say my comment was solely directed as a response to the "Bush is an idiot" comment made just prior... kind of a 'presuming the afore mentioned statement is true, then, what does that say of Americans in general' ... meh.