The classics

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 12 Jul 2005 00:55

Remember those games you played as a kid, teenager, college student, socially challenged adult? The ones that were just plain fun, would addict you for hours and be the sole reason you only got 3 hours sleep in a 5 day period. Remember the joy you felt when you stomped that last Bowser and you FINALLY rescued the princess, and not some damn mushroom. Thats right loser, now I'm starting a list of those that have most affected my life and conjure up fond memories of sleepless nights, a strictly potato chip diet, and beating the floor/controller until my hand bleeds. And I KNOW that damn computer CHEATS.

Ok I'm not an NES veteran, and this list is off the top of my head. Feel free to add to the list. They are in no particular order.
NINTENDO ONLY

1. Super Mario bros.
2. Any and all Zelda games
3. Any and all Metriod Games
4. F-zero (super and gamecube versions)
5. Final Fantasy I, II, III
6. Super Mario Kart
7. Mike Tyson's Punch out
8. Duck Hunt (I always put the gun right up on the screen)
9. Super Mario 2 and 3
10. Super Mario World
11. Chrono Trigger
12. Killer Instinct
13. Street Fighter 2
14. Mega Man 1 thru bazillion (7 on the NES 3 for the super right?)
15. Super Mario RPG

Smash

Post by Smash » 12 Jul 2005 03:03

inplainview wrote:Remember those games you played as a kid, teenager, college student, socially challenged adult?  The ones that were just plain fun, would addict you for hours and be the sole reason you only got 3 hours sleep in a 5 day period.  Remember the joy you felt when you stomped that last Bowser and you FINALLY rescued the princess, and not some damn mushroom.  Thats right loser, now I'm starting a list of those that have most affected my life and conjure up fond memories of sleepless nights, a strictly potato chip diet, and beating the floor/controller until my hand bleeds.  And I KNOW that damn computer CHEATS.

Ok I'm not an NES veteran, and this list is off the top of my head.  Feel free to add to the list.  They are in no particular order.
  NINTENDO ONLY

1.  Super Mario bros.
2.  Any and all Zelda games
3.  Any and all Metriod Games
4.  F-zero (super and gamecube versions)
5.  Final Fantasy I, II, III
6.  Super Mario Kart
7.  Mike Tyson's Punch out
8.  Duck Hunt (I always put the gun right up on the screen)
9.  Super Mario 2 and 3
10. Super Mario World
11.  Chrono Trigger
12.  Killer Instinct
13.  Street Fighter 2
14.  Mega Man 1 thru bazillion (7 on the NES 3 for the super right?)
15.  Super Mario RPG

One of my good buddy's just built a MAME (arcade emulator) I introduced him to all the classics of my childhood. Xevious, Popeye, Burger Time, Galaga. Hours of fun. Those games were better because they are replayable. Who's likely to break out GT4 or GTA3 and replay them over and over?

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 12 Jul 2005 06:25

I agree with Smash. The old coin-ops ruled, especially when you were able to play them in their cabinets. Centipede, Tempest, Star Castle, Karate Champ, Omega Race. Oh, sure, they suck now. But they are still pretty timeless due to their simplicity.

Smash

Post by Smash » 12 Jul 2005 11:21

puzzlehead wrote:I agree with Smash.  The old coin-ops ruled, especially when you were able to play them in their cabinets.  Centipede, Tempest, Star Castle, Karate Champ, Omega Race.  Oh, sure, they suck now.  But they are still pretty timeless due to their simplicity.

That's what I meant...he built a pc into a cabinet he bought and fixed up.

bah. no pics. Site down.

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 13 Jul 2005 06:25

Another of my favorites was playing Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis. If I remember correctly, to unlock the game and get the bloody version, you had to take the controller and key in the following sequence: down, up, left, left, A-button, right, down.

Which happened to spell 'dullard'.

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 15 Jul 2005 00:34

While Mortal Kombat had the shock effect becuase of the "gore" (well back in that day anyways), I think that was its only real strength.

The Street Fighter series always had much better gameplay/control schemes.

I'm not a very big midway fan.

Anybody remember the first NBA Jam?

Smash

Post by Smash » 15 Jul 2005 03:04

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter represent what is wrong with most modern games. Precision overrules fun. What the fuck fun is it having to time everything as opposed to running around in Adventure as a silly little dot holding a sword killing dragons :D That was a game.

yes I'm Old.

Justin

Post by Justin » 15 Jul 2005 03:12

DOWN R UP L Y B X A nigga

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 15 Jul 2005 20:09

Justin wrote:DOWN R UP L Y B X A nigga

YES BUT CAN YOU REMEMBER THE SEGA GENISIS/MEGADRIVE 6 BUTTON PAD CODE?

Nope, neither can I.

kvl

Post by kvl » 16 Jul 2005 00:46

Duck Hunt is one of the best drunk party games in existance. It never fails tthat when i throw a party by the end of the night people are having duck hunt battles.

Dere33

Post by Dere33 » 17 Jul 2005 01:00

Now that you mentino DuckHunt! - God I wish I could find a working Nintendo/NGun.... that game was the shit.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 19 Jul 2005 01:26

Gloveball. That game was just odd. Great concept for its time.

kvl

Post by kvl » 19 Jul 2005 03:42

Dere33 wrote:Now that you mentino DuckHunt! - God I wish I could find a working Nintendo/NGun.... that game was the shit.
Currently i have 2 working guns and 3 working NES systems because way back in the day i had one NES that stopped working, so i was sent a new one for free and never had to send in teh broken one. Then my uncle fixed the broken one so i had 2. Then a while after that my buddy got a sega genesis so he sold me his nes, gun and games for about 20 bucks. I also have 2 n64s for some reason.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 19 Jul 2005 21:45

Who remembers Flashback and Another World?

I remeber marveling at the motion capture graphics on those games when I first played them. The game plots and storylines were excellent too although the endings were a bit of an anti-climax.

Justin

Post by Justin » 20 Jul 2005 01:04

prince of persia for the snes was awesome. the only thing that could've made it better was if it had blood like the genesis version.

genesis version was inferior though. the snes version had new levels, better graphics and stuff.