Gorillaz - Demon Days

inadequate

Post by inadequate » 23 Jun 2005 04:54

Has anyone given this album a listen yet? For those who haven't, don't be deterred by the face that Del + others haven't returned for Demon Days. True, the album heads in a different direction than their self-titled debut album, but pulled it off well. Their first single "Feel Good inc." is awesome, and the rest of the album makes for an interesting listen.

Its a nice blend of hiphop, rock and electronica (?)

heineken

Post by heineken » 23 Jun 2005 05:50

I loved it.

Every track was awesome. I was partial to "November has come" however because of doom.

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 23 Jun 2005 07:15

Yeah, I loved ever since my first listen, it is unlike their Gorillaz album, yeah, but it's very like their "G-Sides", if anyone picked that up, it had a much more relaxed feel to it. I love this album, no particular song I find myself warming to, but I certainly don't skip past any song, v good from start to finish.

The only thing that pisses me off is the video for Feel Good inc. Overall it's a cool vid, just like their other ones, but then they go and ruin it by showing the 2 fucking rappers, I mean come on! Like, I don't take it all that seriously, but that's not what they're about at all. The band is not made up of real people, they're fictional, just pisses me of, 'sall. They go through the hastle of not showing the real people for live gigs and all that, then they ruin it for a video, urghh *shakes fist*.
/rant

Great album though :)

smittenboy

Post by smittenboy » 23 Jun 2005 10:59

The album is damn near perfect after you listen to it over and over.
There's a bit of everything thrown in and it all sounds great.
And yeah, darko Ziac, I agree with you....Wtf? Why did they go and ruin it? I don't care if it's de la soul.....

ruprechtjones

Post by ruprechtjones » 23 Jun 2005 11:36

This is good to hear. I loved the first album, but I had serious doubts about this one. I didn't like their first release, but I shall be open-minded. Maybe I'll just shut up and check out the album now.

Oh, as for the Feel Good video, the first time I saw it I thought "budget cuts". It looked like they could only afford so many seconds of the illustrator's work, so they filled the rest of the video with the same looping comic footage and the two live rappers. Grr. I loved their old videos.
Last edited by ruprechtjones on 23 Jun 2005 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

inadequate

Post by inadequate » 24 Jun 2005 04:18

ruprechtjones wrote:Oh, as for the Feel Good video, the first time I saw it I thought "budget cuts".  It looked like they could only afford so many seconds of the illustrator's work, so they filled the rest of the video with the same looping comic footage and the two live rappers.
This seems highly unlikely. ~4 minutes of video, and they couldn't afford to get half of the screen for 20 seconds animated?

I agree overall, though. The footage cheapened the video and almost kills its flow for me.

smittenboy

Post by smittenboy » 27 Jun 2005 23:32

Oh, as for the Feel Good video, the first time I saw it I thought "budget cuts".  It looked like they could only afford so many seconds of the illustrator's work, so they filled the rest of the video with the same looping comic footage and the two live rappers.

This seems highly unlikely. ~4 minutes of video, and they couldn't afford to get half of the screen for 20 seconds animated?

I agree overall, though. The footage cheapened the video and almost kills its flow for me
Yeah, but they want all the kids to check it out so they put some rappers in and make it cool for them. :bah:

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 28 Jun 2005 06:03

smittenboy wrote:Yeah, but they want all the kids to check it out so they put some rappers in and make it cool for them.  :bah:
Yeah, unfortunately, that's what I think too, it's a real, real pity. I got their DVD at Christmas and it's completely done to the myth that the band is made of Murdoc and 2-D and all. Some of it's fairly funny, saying stuff like that Damon Albarn was an advisor for the band, but at one point the came to a disagreement over which direction the band should go and got beaten up by the "fictional characters".

As I said before, after seeing them live and not once see any real person and watching their DVD and again never seeing one real live person, but seeing beautifully crafted and stylish animation in each of their vids, IMO, it's a real disappointment to see the rappers in the new one.

/rant *2

Great album, give it a few listens, if you haven't yet and it'll grow on you exponentially. Love the album and as I said before, it's like their G-Sides album, really chilled, but each song is a gem.

smittenboy

Post by smittenboy » 30 Jun 2005 09:18

Which DVD are you talking about? :drool:

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 01 Jul 2005 02:49

NPR had a story about Gorillaz' Demon Days. Click <a href='http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4721995' target='_blank'>here</a> and then click on the listen button on the top left corner.

I guess they've "arrived" if they're featured on NPR... :P

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 01 Jul 2005 18:43

smittenboy wrote:Which DVD are you talking about? :drool:
Urgh, you just made me climb 2 flights of stairs while still in a state of discomfort with a dodgy knee (I hurt my knee and my room's in the attic conversion) to get the DVD.

It's called Gorillaz "Phase One: Celebrity Take Down". I'm looking at it again now and it's really cool, it includes a 52 page book of loads of artwork and everything.

Gorillaz are cool, why, oh why did they piss me off with this new vid?

smittenboy

Post by smittenboy » 06 Jul 2005 06:51

Urgh, you just made me climb 2 flights of stairs while still in a state of discomfort with a dodgy knee (I hurt my knee and my room's in the attic conversion) to get the DVD.
:omfg: sorry 'bout that!

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 06 Jul 2005 08:20

Not to worry, not to worry, I'm nearly healed though, and I've since watched that DVD again. Cool enough.